Saturday, October 3, 2009

I Surrender! A postmortem

So, two months is a long time to work on a piece. Especially when, at the end, you still see things that could be better. I'm going to generalize and say that that's the case with a lot of art, it's never done, you just take it to a place where you can let go and hope it can stand on its own. I've been working on this animation I've dubbed Surrender! for some time now and have learned quite a bit. As a way to remind myself that some good did come of it, I thought it'd be good to do a postmortem after finally being able to call it done. That, and I thought just adding it to the end of my previous post, it might not get noticed by those of you who do come to my little blog.

Things I need to improve on:
  • Having clear concise ideas from the get go
  • Tighter lip sync
  • Making people walk
  • Slow in and out of movements better

Things I learned/did better with:
  • Animating two very different characters with the same rig through different types of movement
  • Holding back from overanimating
  • Using holds
  • On that note, getting into and out of holds with overlapping action
  • How much a shot can change given an unlimited time frame

Here she is:

Surrender! Finally from John Fielding on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment